Colour and Quill celebrates the creative edge in life, whether practical, whimsical or purely aesthetic, through imaginative changes to everyday situations.
It is about living the creative life, specifically through visual arts and creative writing, in all its varied forms. It is about claiming a creative space and wrapping it around your life like a quilt of love.
Do you need a painting to brighten your wall? Or do you want the whole wall to be a painting?
Do you want a three-page article for your magazine? Or a three-line haiku for your loved one? Or a book to enrich your life?
Contact Colour and Quill and let's get creative!
* A new mural. See the before and after photos.
* Art Awards Two of my paintings, In Other Words and Rosetta Skulls, are currently hanging in the Rio Tinto Martin Hanson Art Awards exhibition at Gladstone Regional Art gallery and Museum.
* Birds of a Feather art exhibition at Tondoon Botanic Gardens, Gladstone, in June 2017. See the full exhibition here.
* Resensie van Waar die oog van stil word op die Nederlandse webwerf Meander.
* Listen to a reading of my poetry! Luister na 'n voorlesing van my gedigte uit Waar die oog van stil word deur Daniel Hugo op Vers en Klank (1 November 2016).
Some writing prompts for the new year
Instead of boring you with a list of books read in 2017, I’ll take a leaf out of the book of the Writers Write Book Reading Challenge 2018 and give it a little tweak. So here is a little writing prompt... Read more
Burdened with books (and art and other stuff)
Every time I have to move house or, disgusted by all the earthly ‘stuff’ we have gathered, once again contemplate moving to a small cabin in the woods, I am brought to a halt by the burden of books. Read more
The physicality of writing
Writing is a thing of the mind. It is in essence the arrangement and placement of words, a very virtual reality. Unlike visual art, which is made out of paint and paper and ink and wood and clay and... Read more
Words get in the way
I love words; there’s no denying my addiction. Words in and for themselves: languorous, confabulation, gossamer, ethereal… Read more
Thoughts like scattered leaves
The air has taken water, sucked it up through spindled roots cobwebbing into clouds and through them. It breathes. Read more